YWCA Greater Austin is dedicated to eliminating racism, empowering women and promoting peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all.
YWCA Greater Austin provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
This position is housed within the Development & Communications Office, which is charged with managing YWCA membership, implementing the yearly Fund & Donor Development event calendar and fundraising campaigns, as well as maintaining and updating the agency’s website, newsletter, social media, and other communications outlets.
Under the supervision of the Executive Director, this position works closely with YWCA Development Office staff, the Operations Manager, accountant and YWCA Program Staff to coordinate philanthropic events, implement the YWCA Greater Austin’s communications strategy and engage with our membership and the community-at-large. All staff, contractors and volunteers are expected to carry out the YWCA mission of eliminating racism and empowering women by maintaining a commitment to social justice, trauma recovery, elimination of systemic oppression, and multiculturalism. YWCA staff, contractors and affiliates must maintain high ethical standards and abide by YWCA policies and procedures, as well as local, state and federal regulations.
The YWCA Greater Austin seeks a Community Engagement & Communications Specialist to coordinate and ensure the effective implementation of community outreach / engagement, and online marketing strategies. This includes:
- · Collaborates in the planning of and manages/implements scheduled YWCA Greater Austin fundraising and friend-raising events. Serves as point-of contact for third-party events.
- · Employs effective marketing and communication strategies to increase outreach to communities of color.
- · Cultivates relationships with individuals and organizations such as schools, faith-based communities, and businesses to create awareness of the YWCA Greater Austin brand and generate membership, sponsorship and funding leads.
- · Develops and implements comprehensive plans for individual and organizational membership growth.
- · Tracks and documents donations.
- · Supports and assists in the volunteer recruitment and training process.
- · Understands and articulates YWCA Greater Austin mission and program opportunities in the YWCA brand voice.
- · Promotes and assists with YWCA programs, activities, and public relations endeavors.
- · Conducts media relations program for selected events or activities (writing and distribution of press releases).
- · Supports the development and execution of identity and collateral materials for major organizational initiatives.
- · Collaboratively manages and coordinates the creation and update of web-content; responsible for content-related protocols to keep web site up-to-date.
- · Implements e-communications for donors and general public and provides organization-wide e-communications support; manages electronic newsletter database.
- · Additional Duties:
- · Attends mandatory all-staff and agency and program meetings and trainings.
- · Performs back-up as needed.
- · Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience
- · Bachelor's degree, preferably in community or business development, marketing, communications, or a related field.
- · Minimum of two years' experience in event management and membership, community engagement, sales, marketing, communications, or a related field.
- · Minimum one year experience in volunteer coordination.
- · Demonstrated cultural competency working with individuals and institutions in communities of color; capable of building bridges with those who may not be familiar; Spanish fluency (speaking and writing) A MUST. (Additional languages a plus).
- · To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- · Exceptional interpersonal skills including the ability to establish rapport with diverse audiences and identify, prioritize and balance client views and issues; excellent follow-through on commitments to internal and external stakeholders.
- · Strong written and verbal communication skills including the effective presentation skills and the ability to project an inviting and trustworthy image through all communication channels.
- · Ability to manage multiple projects, maintain confidentiality, creatively solve problems and make data-driven decisions while working independently and as a strong team member in a fast-paced environment.
- · Ability to identify key community partners through research and analysis.
- · Accuracy and attention to detail is a necessity.
- · Professional appearance and attitude.
- · Availability to work flexible hours, including weekends and evenings as required.
- · A valid TX driver’s license and a reliable, flexible means of transportation are required for travel to and from locations throughout the Greater Austin Area.
- · Demonstrated skill and knowledge of the most current applications of Microsoft Office Suite; Adobe Acrobat, Photoshop/ Illustrator and Google for Nonprofits
- · 2 years’ experience in the use of and maximization of social media tools: hootsuite, twitter, facebook, Instagram, youtube. etc.
- · Knowledge of mailchimp and familiarity with online content management systems required.
Hours of Work: This is initially a 15 hour a week position. The potential for additional hours, or to transition to a full-time salaried position is contingent of performance. Initially work schedule is Monday-Friday from 9:00-12:00pm. Schedule subject to change with supervisor approval and based on job demands and events.
How to Apply: If you are interested in this position, please send your cover letter, resume, 3 references and 2 writing samples (one in English and one in Spanish) to email@example.com by COB March 4th, 2015. Candidates submitting incomplete applications will not be considered Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. NO PHONE CALLS please.