Position Title: Program Director I - Youth Development
Reports To: Program Director II
Department: Program Services
Branch: Program Services
Date: August 2018
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
The YMCA of Austin is a 501(c)(3) non-profit serving over 60,000 members and 30,000 program participants every year. The Y is dedicated to building programs for youth development, for healthy living, and for social responsibility that promote strong families, youth leadership, and community development.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. It’s who we are, who we aspire to be and how we show up every day. We are cause-driven. We don’t just show up, we show up with purpose. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
Join us and help transform lives.
Under the direction of the Program Director II, the Program Director I is responsible for the organization, delivery, and quality of YMCA programs (afterschool & camp) to Y members, program participants, and the community. This position works independently, under general direction, and is expected to determine how to accomplish tasks. The Program Director position includes, but is not limited to, developing relationships with principals, parents, part-time staff, and program participants; ensuring proper delivery of daily curriculum; monitoring, evaluating, and improving program delivery; hiring and training; establishing collaborative partners; marketing and promoting Y programs; and working collaboratively with colleagues to accomplish collective goals.
Responsible for the daily program operations, including staff & participant experience, training, hiring, evaluations, communication, and all related and required paperwork.
The member relations aspect of this position requires that relationship building be a top priority at all times, attending to the needs and requests of members, program participants, volunteers, and all people associated with the YMCA in a courteous and friendly manner.
Job Responsibilities -
- Recruit, identify, interview, and hire afterschool and camp staff
- Observe and evaluate programs and staff regularly
- Monitor daily operations to adhere to all state, local, and YMCA health and safety regulations
- Coordinate use of school and YMCA facilities for daily activities
- Secure facilities and admission for field trips and special events
- Ensure Y values, the Search Institute’s 40 Developmental Assets, and TEKS standards are included in curriculum and daily activities
- Purchase and maintain supplies for activities, as needed
- Ensure completion of required program and participant paperwork
- Regularly communicate with school staff and develop strong working relationships
- Exceed expectations of school staff, including principal, assistant principal, and custodians
- Assist and implement recruitment strategies, including flyer delivery, job fairs, Y special events, and school special events
- Identify and cultivate partners to enhance existing on-site programming
- Research, schedule, and communicate camp field trips, as assigned
- Personally fundraise and identify and help recruit additional campaigners and board members.
- Monitor and approve weekly schedules and payroll in adherence with program budgets
- Participate in Program Services and YMCA of Austin association special events
- Assist in special projects and activities as required by supervisor
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education - Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university is required. A focus on recreation management, education, child development, or related field is preferred.
Experience - Professional child care experience, including experience supervising others. Previous YMCA experience strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated maturity and leadership skills
- Experience or aptitude in supervising employees
- Energetic, assertive, and goal oriented
- Strong communication and computer skills
- Must assume responsibility for accuracy and timeliness of work product
- Willingness to work evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed to meet deadlines
- Able to multi-task
- Ability to take direction and work well with others
- Interest, knowledge, skill, and enthusiasm in the area of youth programming
- Computer aptitude and/or experience and have the ability to write routine reports and correspondence
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of members, participants, or employees of the Association
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Position requires Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (TDFPS) Program Director certification. Must be or have ability to become certified according to TDFPS standards.
- Current CPR and First Aid certification current or become certified upon hire
- Required to complete the following online trainings upon hire: Before & After School Program, Child Abuse Prevention, Appropriate Touch, Bloodborne Pathogens, Foundations of Listen First, and Intro to Cause and Culture.
The salary range for this position is $36,000 to $40,000 depending on experience and a full benefits package including medical, dental, and vision coverage plus employer-matched retirement upon eligibility.
To Apply: Apply online at www.AustinYMCAJobs.org