Position Title: Aquatics Program Director
Reports To: Executive Director
Salary Range: $36,000 - $42,000
Branch: North Austin
Date: July, 2018
Classification: Full time, exempt
The YMCA of Austin is a 501(c) (3) non-profit serving over 60,000 members and 30,000 program participants every year. The Y is dedicated to building programs for youth development, for healthy living and for social responsibility that promote strong families, character values, youth leadership and community development.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. It’s who we are, who we aspire to be and how we show up every day. We are cause-driven. We don’t just show up, we show up with purpose. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
Join us and help transform lives.
Under the guidance of the Executive Director, the Program Director will be responsible for management of all aspects of the Aquatics Department. The Program Director will be responsible for the successful implementation of new YSL V6 swim lesson program, supervision and development of all aquatics staff, oversight of existing aquatic programs, operation and maintenance of aquatics facility, and development of new programming.
- Change Capacity: Facilitates change; models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change
- Functional Expertise: Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Developing Others: Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance, and support
- Quality Results: Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members; holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
- Project Management: Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work, and actively participates in meetings; develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team.
- Create and schedule swim lessons, leagues, and other water classes.
- Ensure aquatics information is complete and up to date in member services system, online and in print format at all times.
- Communicate all aquatics-related programming and events via social media, online and through all intra-branch and inter-branch methods available.
- Develops and monitors program budgets to meet fiscal objectives.
- Organizes and schedules program registrations.
- Compiles program statistics and administers participant user evaluations.
- Monitor daily pool operations to adhere to all state, local, and YMCA health and safety regulations.
- Maintain accurate records of pool chemical levels and facility maintenance.
- Conduct and ensures proper maintenance of pools and facility.
- Perform lifeguard and swim instructor duties as required.
- Monitor facility for risk-management and safety concerns.
- Develop and implement an ongoing equipment preventive maintenance program.
- Works with Executive Director and other department heads to provide risk management drills for all staff & recommend procedural changes to ensure safety of all staff, members, guests and participants.
Training & Certifications:
- Maintain accurate records of staff certifications.
- Conduct necessary trainings for aquatics staff (lifeguard, swim instructor, etc.)
- Work with director team to offer CPR/FA/O2 trainings for branch staff.
- Conducts Aquatics Audits to ensure staff readiness Lifeguard vigilance
- Conducts monthly risk management audits and facility inspections.
- Directly supervises part time and non-exempt employees and volunteers.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Recruits, trains, and develops non-exempt and part time program staff and volunteers.
- Plans, assigns, and directs staff and volunteer work.
- Conducts performance appraisals, rewards and discipline.
- Monitors and updates all required staff certifications.
- Addresses complaints and resolves problems.
- Coordinates use of branch facilities for program activities and events.
- Establish and maintain file / data management schedule and recordkeeping.
Communication & Mission Advancement
- Promotes and incorporates the YMCA five core values, the Y voice, and character development model into all program activities.
- Assists in the marketing and distribution of program information.
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with other community organizations, including government agencies and school districts.
- Establishes new program activities and expands program within the community in accordance with the Association and branch strategic plans.
- Assists in branch fund raising activities and special events.
- Responds to all member and community inquiries and complaints in timely manner.
- Attend Aquatics Impact meetings, act as representative of the branch
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university is preferred. Previous YMCA Aquatics experience preferred.
- Experience- 3-5 years of professional supervisory experience (including experience in aquatics).
- YMCA Team Leader or Multi-Branch Leader certification preferred.
- 3-5 years supervision of Aquatics Department which includes supervision of multi-team of lifeguards and swim instructors and knowledge of how to operate a pool.
- Certifications- Current CPR, First Aide, Emergency Oxygen, Lifeguard, Lifeguard Instructor and YMCA Swim Lesson Instructor certification.
- YSL Instructor Trainer, LGI trainer, and CPO or POOL certifications are a plus.
Technical Knowledge & Skills-
- Thorough understanding of the mission and objectives of the YMCA of Austin.
- Ability to manage projects and coordinate events in conjunction with other staff members and volunteers in order to achieve long and short-range goals of the Association.
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet strict deadlines.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Knowledge of member relations system and/or database.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Excel, Word, Outlook.
- Ability to apply knowledge of accounting and finance basics.
- Must assume responsibility for accuracy and timeliness of work product.
- General knowledge and ability to perform light maintenance work related to pool facilities.
- Willingness to work evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed to meet deadlines.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, bend, talk and occasionally lift and/or move items including equipment, furniture and/or children. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume, cover letter, and list of references via the online posting at www.AustinYMCAJobs.org. Applications will not be accepted after the deadline.