Position Summary: We are seeking an energetic individual to join our team as our Development & Communications Coordinator. You will support VELA in deepening current funding and program partnerships, identifying and establishing new relationships, securing funding and connecting members to the impact they are having through messaging and storytelling. You will work very closely with Maria Hernandez, our ED and Founder.
About Us: VELA empowers Spanish and English-speaking families of children with special needs. We support families through the unexpected journey of having a child with special needs by providing interactive and dynamic courses, support groups, case management and Family Fun Days, in both Spanish and English. Through our program, parents learn how to support their child's strengths and needs, navigate medical and special education services, connect to community resources and become their child’s greatest expert. VELA aims to be culturally responsive, person-centered and focused on ABILITY (within disability). We love what we do and have been doing it since 2010. Started as all-volunteer agency, today, VELA has 7 team members, a community of engaged volunteers, and a passionate and active Board of Directors. VELA is fast-paced and innovative and at the same time thoughtful and intentional. We are growing and are looking for a new team member to take our storytelling, fundraising and relationships to the next level!
Position: Development and Communications Coordinator, Part-Time Employee, 20 hours per week.
• Manages and supports the creation of annual communications plan, fundraising campaigns and events.
• Works collaboratively with leadership to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward donors
• Prepares profiles on current donors, prospects and foundations
• Maintains and manages all fundraising activities on donor database (Little Green Lite)
• Processes donations and prepares acknowledgement letters
• Manages and stewards corporate volunteers for Family Fun Days, Open Houses and other VELA events and activities
• Leads staff and event team to plan and produce our Annual Fall Fundraising Event, “Be the Light” including securing sponsors and vendors.
• Produces content for email newsletters, website updates and social media postings
• Plans and delivers community presentations to new and current stakeholders
• Manages social media accounts and campaigns
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• People-person: loves meeting new people, deepening relationships and connecting them to mission
• Highly-organized self-starter, strong attention to detail, a demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and complete excellent work with minimal supervision.
• Multi-tasker: Experience managing, delegating and completing ongoing projects
• Effective communicator: able to communicate well internally with members of team and externally through interactive presentations in the community.
• Tech-savvy; excels at digital communications and experience with newsletter and donor software programs.
• Experience planning and managing events
• Experience working with diverse groups, including the disability community.
• Flexible, creative, and a good sense of humor.
• Bilingual Spanish English preferred, but not required
• Four-year degree in a related field
• A minimum of two years’ experience in fundraising, communications and/or event planning in the nonprofit sector
• Passionate about our mission
Hours and Compensation
Part-time, 20 hours per week with the possibility of additional hours
Work hours are flexible; the majority of the work is to be completed during normal business hours with some nights and weekends included for special events.
To apply: Please submit resume, one-page writing sample, and 3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Development and Communications Coordinator." No phone calls, please.