The YMCA of Austin is looking for a new Sports Director. Under the guidance of the Associate Branch Executive, the Sports Program Director is responsible for the organization, delivery, and quality of YMCA program(s) to the membership, program participants and community. Furthermore, the Sports Director is responsible for the development, management, supervision, and coordination of sports programming for all youth and adult. This individual is responsible for the initiation and implementation of new programs, the training, and supervision of necessary staff, and the evaluation and modification of these initiatives. This position works independently under general direction and is expected to determine how to accomplish tasks.
The member relations aspect of this position requires that relationship building is a top priority at all times. The Sports Director must attend to the needs, and requests of health seekers, members, and all people associated with the YMCA in a courteous and friendly manner, using the Y voice.
Job Responsibilities –
- Create a positive and motivational environment for all staff
- Serve as a Cause Driven Leader on Duty and/or Director on Duty according to branch schedule, and complete CDL report
- Provide leadership and coaching to department team as well as all branch teams
- Ensure program quality is of the highest regard for all department programs
- Use data-based decision making for program decisions
- Lead seasonal staff meetings
- Representative to Impact Team for Sports
- Respond to all member and community inquiries and complaints in a timely manner utilizing written and verbal communication, including phone and face-to-face
- Ability to work a flexible work schedule to ensure regular exposure to members and staff at all times throughout the week, including early mornings, evenings, and/or weekends
Program and Administrative Support
- Create yearly and seasonal sport schedules to ensure timely delivery of all services.
- Secure and schedule athletic fields and facilities.
- Create teams from paid and financially assisted registrations.
- Develop and distribute team practice and game schedules.
- Purchase and distribute team uniforms and awards.
- Coordinate and distribute team photographs.
- Organize and host volunteer appreciation events.
- Transport, organize and set up equipment for games and practices.
- Monitor inventory and purchase necessary sporting equipment.
- Compiles monthly program statistics to monitor participation and impact
- Works with participants and volunteers in all sports to identify and develop new and emerging sport leagues.
- Creates a comprehensive clinic and parent/child sports programs to grow youth sports program
- Provides both recreational and semi-competitive programs to engage youth and adults in sports.
- Work with branch and association staff to promote registration of all sport activities.
Communication / Mission Advancement / Strategic
- In conjunction with other exempt staff, promote and incorporate the YMCA three areas of focus and the Y’s Cause and Culture
- Lead marketing efforts for all Sports programs
- Lead Department with Annual Campaign effort for staff and members
- Communicate Annual Campaign need through Y stories and testimonials
- Serve as an exempt staff member to the YMCA of Austin, performing those duties as assigned by the Associate Executive and Branch Director
- Actively and enthusiastically support the branch and association goals and directions through effective completion of tasks and verbal display to peers, staff, members and guests
- Recruit, train, develop, support and directly supervise program staff and volunteers
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws
- Conduct annual performance appraisals at least once a year, as well as staff appreciation/recognition, coaching and progressive discipline when necessary
- Monitor and update all required staff certifications, scheduling and facility needs
- Develop performance standards with full time direct staff reports that include a training plan and other development opportunities
- Ensure staff is well informed and connected to the larger branch and the strategic plan for the Association
- Address complaints and uses conflict resolution techniques to solve staff problems.
- Audit programs and staff on a regular basis to ensure high quality standards are met
- Organize and conduct parent orientation meetings
- Organize and conduct volunteer coach training and meetings.
- Hire, train and schedule sports officials.
- Work with outside organizations to provide continuing education for all sport instructors and volunteer coaches.
- Develop, implement, and monitor annual Sports budget
- Track, monitor, and adjust resources to meet financial goals
- Review and certify the accuracy of department payroll
- Track and monitor Sports registration fees and sessions scheduled
Facilities / Risk Management
- Develop, review, and distribute sports rules, guidelines and handbooks.
- Ensure safety procedures are followed and incident/accident reports are filed promptly.
- Ensure all maintenance and facility issues in the gymnasium are reported to the Associate Executive Director to be promptly addressed
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education: Bachelors degree from four-year College or university in recreation management,
physical education, or related field preferred
Experience: At least two years of experience coaching, training volunteers, and working in a leadership role in an organized youth sports league. A minimal of 1,000 participants annually. Previous YMCA experience preferred.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Interested in contributing to the mission, voice and culture of the YMCA of Austin.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Excel, Word, and Outlook and ability to quickly learn other software programs
- Able to multi-task and assume responsibility for accuracy and timeliness of work product
Schedule: Available to work evenings and most Saturdays
The salary range for this position is $36,000 – $40,000 depending on experience and full benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance, plus employer matched retirement upon reaching eligibility.
TO APPLY: Apply online at www.AustinYMCAJobs.org