Under the guidance of the Executive Director, the Senior Program Director is responsible for the organization, delivery, and quality of YMCA program(s) to the membership, program participants, and community. All programs must support the five core character values of the YMCA of Austin while focusing on Youth Development, Healthy Living, and Social Responsibility.
This individual is responsible for the leadership and supervision of Youth and Family Programs, Outdoor Education, and Corporate/Service retreat components of camp. This includes but is not limited to developing relationships with members, staff, program participants, and community partners; ensuring proper delivery of program curriculum; creating, monitoring, evaluating, and improving program delivery; hiring and training; establishing collaborative partners; marketing and promotion of Y programs; and working collaboratively with colleagues to accomplish collective goals. This position works independently under general direction and is expected to determine how to accomplish tasks.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education - Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university in recreation management, physical education, education, child development, or related field preferred.
- Experience - At least five (5) years of professional experience including experience hiring and coaching employees, creating and implementing programs, and budget oversight. ACCT Challenge Course Manager strongly preferred. Previous camp and YMCA experience strongly preferred.
- Proven ability to manage projects and coordinate events in conjunction with other staff members, departments and volunteers in order to achieve long and short-range goals of the Association.
- Demonstrated maturity and leadership skills
- Experience or aptitude in supervising employees
- Energetic, assertive, and goal-oriented
- Strong communication and computer skills (Proficiency in Microsoft Office)
- Knowledge of member relations system and/or database.
- Ability to apply knowledge of accounting and finance basics.
- Must assume responsibility for accuracy and timeliness of work product.
- Willingness to work evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed to meet deadlines.
- Must collaborate with outside organizations to achieve organizational goals.
- Must lead by example
- Proven ability to multi-task.
- Proven ability to work well under pressure and meet strict deadlines.
- Proven experience in delivering high-quality programming
The member relations aspect of this position requires that relationship building be a top priority at all times, attending to the needs and requests of health seekers, members, and all people associated with the YMCA in a courteous and friendly manner.
JOB SEGMENT BY PROGRAM AREA
- Develop, organize, and oversee programs to create opportunities for youth, teen, and adult achievement and skill development.
- Organize and conduct outdoor education activities and events.
- Schedules and organizes specific program meetings and activities.
- Develops programs to create opportunities to strengthen the parent/child relationship
- Secures facilities, equipment, and supplies for classes and events.
- Develops and distributes program calendar and social media content.
- Organizes and coordinates monthly family activities and events.
- Provides timely communication to staff, participants, and participant’s guardians.
- Purchases and maintains supplies for the program.
- Ensures proper supervision of all program participants.
- Ensures safety procedures are followed and incident/accident reports are filed in a timely manner.
- Works with the compliance department and camp program directors to create risk management procedures for program administration and staff.
- Ensure waivers and appropriate risk management paperwork is complete for all participants.
- Develop and implement safety procedures for all programs and events.
- Recruit and train mentors, volunteers, and program staff for specific programs.
- Completes ongoing evaluations of staff.
- Directly supervises staff in assigned program departments.
- Directly supervises employees and volunteers.
- Coordinates the use of facilities for program activities and events.
- Establish and maintain a file/data management schedule and recordkeeping.
- Compiles program statistics.
- Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of and participation in the program.
- Develops and monitors program budgets to meet fiscal objectives.
Communication & Mission Advancement:
- Promotes and incorporates the YMCA five core values, 40 Developmental Assets, and character development model into all program activities.
- Assists in the marketing and distribution of program information.
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with other community organizations.
- Establishes new program activities and expands the program within the community in accordance with the Association and branch strategic plans.
- Assists in-branch fundraising activities and special events.
- Responds to all member and community inquiries and complaints in a timely manner.
- Attends Impact Team meetings, as assigned and needed, as a representative of YMCA Camp Moody.
- Serve as an exempt staff member to the YMCA of Austin, performing those duties as assigned by Chief Operating Officer and President/CEO of the YMCA.
- Actively and enthusiastically support the Branch and Association goals and directions through effective completion of tasks and verbal display to peers, staff, members, and guests.
- Personally participate and solicit others for necessary YMCA financial development programs such as Annual Campaigns, capital projects, etc.
Apply online: https://www.austinymca.org/careers/current-openings