JOB SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Associate Executive, the Program Director II plays a key leadership role in the effective operation of branch activities. The Program Director II serves as a role-model and coach to all branch staff and helps develop a welcoming, nurturing, and thriving community within the branch. This position manages multiple departments and assumes responsibility to delegate key job duties to qualified staff. As such, this position demands strong supervisory skills as well as the ability to prioritize tasks in order to move the branch forward to reach strategic goals. The Program Director II is directly tasked with ensuring both a positive member and participant experience as well as representing the branch and association with community groups and people of influence through partnerships, collaboration and philanthropic relationships
The YMCA of Austin is a 501(c)(3) non-profit serving over 60,000 members and 30,000 program participants every year. The Y is dedicated to building programs for youth development, for healthy living and for social responsibility that promote strong families, character values, youth leadership and community development.
OUR CULTURE Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. It’s who we are, who we aspire to be and how we show up every day. We are cause-driven. We don’t just show up, we show up with purpose.
We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become.
We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality.
We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world.
We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential.
We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you. Join us and help transform lives.
Mission Advancement: Reinforces the Ys values within the organization and the community. Effectively communicates the benefits and impact of the YMCAs efforts for all stakeholders. Implements effective systems to develop volunteers at the program, fundraising, and policy leadership levels. Secures resources and support for all philanthropic endeavors.
Collaboration: Develops strategies to ensure staff and volunteers reflect the community. Builds and nurtures strategic relationships to enhance support for the YMCA. Serves as a community leader building collaborations based on trust and credibility to advance YMCA mission and goals. Communicates for influence to attain buy-in and support of goals. Provides tools and resources for the development of others.
Operational Effectiveness: Integrates multiple thinking processes to make decisions. Involves members and community in the development of programs and activities. Ensures execution of plans. Institutes sound accounting procedures, investment policies, and financial controls. Assigns clear accountability and ensures continuous improvement.
Personal Growth: Fosters a learning environment embracing diverse abilities and approaches. Creates a sense of urgency and positive tension to support change. Anticipates challenges that can sidetrack or derail growth and personal learning. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
Relationships: Builds and nurtures strategic relationships that enhance support for the Y.
QUALIFICATIONS: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with differing abilities to perform the essential functions.
Education: Bachelor degree from a 4-year college or higher in non-profit management, recreation management, sports management, kinesiology, public health or a similar field preferred.
Experience: Five years or more of direct supervision, community/member engagement, and management of large programs.
Knowledge & Skills: Commitment to support the mission, voice, and culture of the YMCA of Austin. Strong written and verbal communications skills Ability to manage projects and coordinate events in conjunction with other staff members and volunteers in order to achieve long and short-range goals of the Association. Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The member relations aspect of this position requires that relationship building is a top priority at all times. The Program Director II must attend to the needs, and requests of health seekers, members, and all people associated with the YMCA in a courteous and friendly manner.
- Ensure all instructors are certified in the area of instruction for Aquatic, Health and Wellness programs.
- Provide leadership and coaching to all departments.
- Works in conjunction with the Recruitment Manager to oversee the development and implementation of a staff recruitment program to ensure all programs s are appropriately staffed.
- Facilitate on-going training and provide certification opportunities for instructors.
- Ensure all departments have an ongoing evaluation of all staff at least once per year.
- Ensure classes are audited classes on a regular basis.
- Ensure all programs meet YMCA standards Oversee analysis of member feedback, program feedback, and instructor feedback tools Secure facilities for program activities and events
- Oversee coordination of registration and participation in programs
- Oversee timely communication to staff, and participants.
- Stay updated on current training ideas and philosophies.
- Present these materials to instructors and staff on an ongoing basis
- Oversee specific program activities related to group exercise, personal training, wellness floor monitoring, swim lessons, and lifeguarding programs.
Communication & Mission Advancement
- In conjunction with other exempt staff, promote and incorporate the YMCA three areas of focus.
- Assist in the marketing and distribution of program information.
- Continuingly review and evaluate wellness and aquatics policies and procedures
- Establish and maintain file/data management schedule and recordkeeping
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of program retention strategies
- Develops and monitor program budget to meet fiscal objectives
- Establish new program activities and expand programs within the community in accordance with the association and branch strategic plans
- Personally participate and solicit others for necessary YMCA financial development programs such as The Annual Campaign and capital projects
- Ensure all member and community inquiries and concerns are responded to in a timely manner Actively participates in wellness and aquatics impact team meetings
- Serve as an exempt staff member to the YMCA of Austin, performing those duties as assigned by Branch Director and President/CEO of the YMCA.
- Actively and enthusiastically support the branch and association goals and directions through effective completion of tasks and verbal display to peers, staff, members, and guests.
Annual salary between $45,000 to $48,000, and full benefits package including dental, vision, health insurance and employer matched retirement plan upon reaching eligibility.
How to Apply:
Apply here! https://austinymca.applytojob.com/apply/jtuVlsPaV5/Program-Director-II-Southwest