The Young Nonprofit Professionals Network of Austin (YNPN Austin) provides accessible professional development opportunities that empower young leaders and advance the nonprofit community. Our vision is a cultivated network of engaged young leaders that meets the diverse needs of the greater Austin nonprofit community.
Position: Professional Development Vice Chair
The Professional Development Vice Chair of the YNPN Austin Board of Directors is responsible for working with the Professional Development Chair in managing the Programming Committee, developing key relationships with organizations in the community, and overseeing the implementation and execution of all professional development and social service events.
As a member of the YNPN Austin Board of Directors, the Professional Development Vice Chair will support the work of YNPN Austin and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. YNPN Austin is a volunteer-managed organization and Board members are responsible for daily operations as well as governance and strategic planning.
Position Specific Responsibilities
- Serves as the lead member of the Professional Development Committee
- With Professional Development Chair, manages Professional Development Committee and leads committee meetings
- Oversees committee communication
- Oversees the implementation and execution of all professional development and social service events
- Develops and maintains relationships with local organizations
- Maintains a list of potential event spaces
- Develops a list of potential event speakers
- Attends a minimum of 3 of Board Meetings annually
- Attends YNPN’s monthly professional development events when available. Two Board members must be present at each event and sign-ups will be held at Board meetings.
- Attends other committee meetings, as necessary
Direct Strategic Planning Responsibilities
- Provides consistent opportunities for member feedback via post-event evaluations
- Establishes and maintains collaborative relationship with the UT School of Social Work, Creative Alliance, Kaplan and Greenlights
- Identifies key organizations to collaborate with on events and volunteer opportunities with specific focus on the Center for Nonprofit Management, Austin Young Chamber of Commerce, TANO and One Star Foundation
- Provide engagement opportunities (committee members, volunteers) for expanded membership
- Increase event attendance by 10% through the collaboration with the Communications and Membership committees.
Leadership and Oversight
- Chair Professional Development committee meetings with support from the Professional Development Chair
- Attend a minimum of three Board of Directors meetings annually
- Implement YNPN Austin’s strategic plan
- Regularly measure performance and effectiveness of YNPN Austin using the metrics created by the Board of Directors
- Operate committee within the approved budget
- Assist in identifying and recruiting other committee members that reflect the community YNPN Austin serves
- Represent YNPN Austin to stakeholders; act as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensure YNPN Austin’s commitment to a diverse committees
- Support fundraising efforts and consider YNPN Austin a philanthropic priority
Term and Participation
YNPN Austin Vice-Chairs serve a 1-year term and, if interested, are eligible for Board service upon the completion of that term. Vice-Chair service is not a guarantee of being elected to the Board of Directors. The estimated monthly expectations for the Professional Development Vice Chair is 4 hours, including the committee meetings and events. Time may decrease or increase month to month.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about YNPN Austin’s mission.
Ideal candidates for Professional Development Vice Chair will have the following qualifications:
- Experience with other young professional organizations, through membership and/or board service
- Event planning and general fundraising experience
- Comfortable with soliciting donations, event space, and “cold-calling” possible workshop speakers
- Ability to handle multiple projects at one time
- Ability to work well independently and relish working on a dynamic team.
- Ability to be dependable, flexible, and have a great sense of humor.
Applications close on October 11, 2015.