Literacy Coalition of Central Texas
Job Description: Part-time/Evening Instructor
About the Organization: The Literacy Coalition of Central Texas is a medium-sized, dynamic, progressive, and quickly growing non-profit organization in Austin, Texas that improves the quality and availability of literacy services and interventions in Central Texas. We support and grow community literacy programs outside the public K-12 educational system, including adult literacy, GED classes, English language instruction for adults, family and early childhood literacy programs, and specialized literacy skill-building for health literacy, computer literacy, workplace literacy and financial literacy. The Literacy Coalition creates a more literate Central Texas by providing the resources necessary to address this under-funded network of vital programs. We connect literacy organizations in our region to the funding, advocacy, professional development and service support as well as operating our own instructional programming, including an adult learning center and multi-site parenting and ESL classes.
Purpose of this position:
An instructor at The Learning Center is responsible for student instruction, progress, and classroom management. The instructor will guide students through the necessary curricula, so that students will acquire the skills necessary to compete in a job market that requires an HSE and computer literacy.
Scope of the position:
This is a part-time position reporting directly to the Program Manager of The Learning Center.
Day-to-day, week-to-week instruction and interaction with students is managed or supervised through presence or written instruction by The Learning Center Program Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Instruct students in an active and engaging manner, assist with student motivation
- Manage the classroom environment, including keeping room and supplies organized
- Maintain computers in student computer lab (anti-virus, file management, install/uninstall/configure software, replace/set-up new equipment when necessary, troubleshoot and resolve issues with computers and printers)
- Take attendance and be responsible for students signing in and out
- Monitor student absences, tardiness, and progress; communicating regularly with the Social Services Coordinator on all attendance, behavioral and progress concerns
- Maintain copies of curriculum and plan & profiles in the file cabinet and/or electronically
- Make changes to curriculum when necessary or advised by The Learning Center Program Manager; modify curriculum to meet individual student needs
- Tutor students in one-on-one or small groups in math, science, social studies, reading, writing, computer basics, Windows XP, Microsoft Word, Excel, (PowerPoint and Access when necessary), Internet Explorer, Email, Typing Skills, Job Search, Resume writing, etc.
- Maintain student records/files (grades on quizzes, tests, progress tracking)
- As needed or directed by The Learning Center Program Manager, contact various outside agency counselors regarding attendance and progress for their clients
- Prepare monthly reports of student progress for the staff meetings at the end of each month or as announced
- Assist with administering TABE tests and/or Orientation when necessary
- Must attend and assist with annual graduation
- If requested, assist with grant reporting when necessary
- BA or BS degree
- Teacher certification in Math or English preferred
- Excellent communication and social skills
- Experience working with hard-to-serve or adult populations
- Strong organizational skills
- Sensitivity towards different social groups
- Proficient in Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel, and computer maintenance
- Strong essay writing and grammar skills
- Strong Math skills, including High School Algebra and Geometry
Hours and Location: Part-time, non-exempt employee at 24 hours per week, Monday through Thursday 3 pm – 9 pm at 1640 B East 2nd Street, Austin, TX
Compensation: Pay Range $20 - $25/hour, based on experience, plus excellent benefits, including fully covered health insurance, dental, short-term disability, and generous paid time off & holidays. Professional, innovative and fast-paced work environment, yet truly family-friendly and flexible.
The Literacy Coalition of Central Texas is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, national origin, ethnic, background, disability, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com .
Resumes without cover letters will NOT be considered.