The mission of AIDS Services of Austin (ASA) is to enhance the health and well-being of the community and people affected by HIV and AIDS. We recently established a patient-centered medical clinic providing life-affirming HIV, PrEP, primary care, and behavioral health services for at-risk persons in Central Texas. ASA services are located across three campuses in the greater Austin area. Our main campus houses the clinic, case management, insurance assistance, housing, food and nutrition services, and administrative services; the Jack Sansing Dental Clinic provides dental care to approximately 1,500 HIV-positive patients annually; and the Springdale location houses our Health Promotion programs that provide preventative and positive services for persons affected by HIV. For more than 32 years, ASA has provided a continuum of services to the greater Central Texas area.
ASA is bolstering its Mpowerment program, and we're looking to add an Mpowerment Specialist to join our team. The Mpowerment Specialist is responsible for implementing a community-level, evidence-based intervention utilizing the Mpowerment prevention model for young gay, bisexual, transgender, and curious men between the ages of 18 and 44 in Austin. The Mpowerment Specialist is also responsible for facilitating volunteer participation, facilitating small and large group events, promoting The Q events, and conducting online and off-site outreach as needed. The Mpowerment Specialist uses print materials, social media, and face-to-face recruitment to promote Mpowerment program activities.
Ideal Candidate Profile
You're outgoing and sensitive: You enjoy building relationships within the organization and with external partners. Your interpersonal skills allow you navigate difficult situations, and you are in tune with the feelings, actions, and needs of other people. You greet everyone with a smile and respect, no matter what's on your plate.
You're all about collaborative approach: You enjoy teamwork! Collaborating with other team members to work toward common goals that advance ASA's commitment to client-centered care is a priority of yours.
You're organized and detail oriented: You prioritize tasks, follow written procedures, ask questions to get clarity, and double check to make sure you covered all the bases. You live by checklists and post-it notes.
You're a self-starter with a thoughtful approach: Once you know the "what", "why," and "how," you do what needs to be done. You are proactive and anticipate needs, and you can think through a problem or an issue and offer solutions. You're practical, but you can also be creative.
You know how to juggle: You are experienced with juggling priorities, and you can switch between tasks without getting derailed. You know when to ask for help to stay on track. You greet everyone with a smile and respect no matter what's on your plate.
You're innovative: You think outside the box, and you are not afraid to try new things to meet the mission of your program and ASA. You provide alternative solutions when the need arises and don't get stuck in the "I can't!"
You're mission driven: You are looking for a job that makes a difference, and you have a genuine desire to help others reach their potential. At ASA, you will be an integral part in our community to help our clients build healthier futures and reduce stigma for people affected by HIV and AIDS.
A successful Mpowerment Specialist must be able and willing to:
- Recruit men from within the Mpowerment program to assist in co-facilitating small safer sex educational groups for young gay, bisexual, transgender, and curious men.
- Collaborate with the Mpowerment staff to recruit, train, and supervise young gay, bisexual, transgender, and curious men to participate in The Q Austin activities.
- Collaborate with the Marketing Specialist on developing marketing materials to implement outreach activities at selected events prioritizing young gay, bisexual, transgender, and curious men.
- Participate in designing and preparing special events activities, including the development and review process for promotional materials.
- Conduct HIV/AIDS prevention-focused outreach and distribute promotional materials to recruit for HIV testing.
- Assist in the implementation of and recruitment for prevention programs of The Q Austin and other Health Promotion services by using innovative approaches such as harm reduction, behavioral theories, and motivational strategies in various community settings.
- Assist in planning, coordinating, and implementing small and large social events in an effort to recruit young gay, bisexual, transgender, and curious men ages 18-44 into the Mpowerment program.
Qualifications and Requirements
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Experience working with communities of diverse cultures, ethnicities, socioeconomic backgrounds, and gender identities required.
- One year experience working in HIV/AIDS prevention, public health, social service, or health promotion required.
- Must have and be willing to maintain a valid driver's license, a safe driving record, and personal vehicle liability insurance.
- Must be willing and able to travel within and throughout Austin utilizing personal vehicle.
- Bachelor's degree in public health, behavioral health or related field strongly preferred.
- One year experience organizing educational programs and/or facilitating groups preferred.
- Training in harm reduction principles and motivational interviewing preferred.
- Bilingual (English and Spanish) skills preferred. ($1,000 annual stipend for demonstrated language proficiency.)
Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.; nights and weekends as needed - 32 hours/week.
ASA offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a generous paid time off (PTO) program and a 403(b) retirement plan with employer contributions. Additionally, along with Medical, Dental and Vision insurance benefits, ASA provides the option to elect Voluntary Life insurance and the following supplemental products: Critical Illness, Hospital Indemnity, and Accident insurance. We also offer company-paid Short and Long-Term Disability insurance, Group Life insurance, a Financial Wellness and Short-Term Loan Program, an Employee Assistance Program, and Bereavement Leave.
AIDS Services of Austin (ASA) is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering collaboration founded on integrity and respect, with the conviction that this strengthens our vision for an empowered community committed to healthier lives, free from stigma, for people affected by HIV and AIDS. ASA neither condones nor tolerates discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, public assistance status, mental health status, or any other protected status.
ASA participates in E-verify.