Department: Finance & Operations
Reports to: Chief Financial & Operations Officer and Finance & Operations Manager
FLSA status: Part-time, paid, hourly, non-exempt position
Estimated Dates: September 1, 2018 – December 7, 2018. We are open to accommodate the intern’s academic needs.
The F&O Intern is a committed, well organized leader. This person will wear a variety of hats and provide basic support in a variety of financial and operational tasks.
Although the CFOO and F&O Manager supervise the F&O Intern, they will work closely with and provide excellent customer service to other Mission Capital staff across departments and, at times, with the public as well.
This is a part-time position. You are expected to work for 10 to 15 hours per week, but we are flexible with your schedule.
Mission Capital multiplies the impact of mission-driven people and organizations. Last year we engaged with dozens of nonprofits and other organizations, provided training to more than 1,500 professionals, engaged hundreds more through our online membership community, and provided a variety of other services that contribute to getting complex community problems solved. Mission Capital has a dedicated staff of professionals with deep nonprofit experience.
If you enjoy a fast-paced work place, creating a friendly atmosphere, and have relevant experience, we encourage you to apply.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Assist with Audits – 60%
• Be the key point of contact with auditors and project manage audit requests to MC Staff
• Assist in preparing an audit schedule and provide requested materials to the auditors
Various – 40%
“Other duties as assigned” will form an important part of this job. To thrive, this staffer will need to be able to pivot with the organization, manage change with grace, effectively communicate upwards, be proactive and thrive in a fluid environment. Potential other duties include:
• Organize Excel trainings for employees
• Some HR responsibilities, such as preparing Total Compensation Statements
• Other supporting activities needed
INDICATORS OF SUCCESS
• Well-managed workload
• Proactive action is taken to address the above job responsibilities
• Supervisor and peer feedback reflects that the F&O Intern is making a positive contribution to Mission Capital’s effectiveness and growth, and to the culture of the organization
JOB QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
• A demonstrated eagerness to learn and grow
• Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office (particularly Excel, Word and PowerPoint)
• Pursuing a degree in accounting/finance/business or related subjects
• Financial accounting, management accounting, and audit coursework preferred
• QuickBooks and database experience a plus
• Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) and ability to professionally represent Mission Capital
• A respectful and collaborative approach to fostering relationships with diverse stakeholders, both internal and external
• A track record of well organized, thorough work
• Proven ability to function effectively in a fast-paced environment with competing priorities and deadlines
• Flexibility to perform a range of responsibilities
• Team player who demonstrates Mission Capital’s Core Values.
The F&O Intern can expect to gain valuable experience in the following areas:
• Working knowledge of the audit process
• Develop hands-on knowledge in using accounting software (QuickBooks)
• Interaction with common workplace software such as Office365 and Salesforce
• Experience with financial reporting and budget analysis
• Practice with finance processes and systems
• Experience working for a non-profit organization
Mission Capital is located in UFCU Plaza at the intersection of Steck Boulevard and Mopac Expressway, Austin, Texas. Building amenities include a grab-and-go café, free covered garage parking, and onsite security and maintenance staff.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Mission Capital is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage all qualified candidates, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sexual preference, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or gender identity to apply.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
General office environment with low to moderate noise level. Work is generally sedentary in nature but requires standing and walking for up to 15% of the time. Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available, and requires out-of-office work up to 15% of the time. Occasional work required outside of normal business hours. Access to a mobile phone (with email access) is required periodically. Personal transportation is required.
The work conditions and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
To apply, please submit the following as PDFs through the "apply for this job" link:
• Cover letter (be sure to mention where you learned about this job opportunity and which of our core values resonates with you most)
• 3 References (as an attachment to the cover letter)
(We will notify you before contacting your references.)