Under the direction of the Branch Executive Director, the Program Director will manage all aspects of the fitness department in accordance with the mission and purpose of the YMCA of Austin. The Program Director is responsible for the initiation and implementation of new programs, the training and supervision of necessary staff, and the evaluation and modification of these initiatives. The Program Director will further ensure that all YMCA standards are being met and/or exceeded as they relate to program and membership development.
The Program Director will work collaboratively with the Healthy Living Director to incorporate new initiatives for the community. As a result, this position will be developing more partnerships/collaborations with outside groups and other non-profits to further the mission of the YMCA of Austin. The Program Director works independently under general direction and is expected to determine how to accomplish tasks. This position will also be the Community Garden Liaison for the North Austin Branch. The Program Director will maintain and grow the community garden membership, will maintain garden bi-laws, and work with the Community Garden Board. In addition, the Program Director will help to create awareness of the Community Garden and further expand programs by utilizing the garden.
- Values- Demonstrates in word and action the Y’s core values of caring, honesty, respect,
and responsibility and a commitment to the Y’s mission, in all matters at all times.
- Community- Makes member and community needs paramount and does everything in
his/her power to engage and partner with members and community to exceed
- Relationships- Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and
team performance to support the Y’s work.
- Communication – Listens and expresses ideas effectively and in a manner that reflects a
true understanding of the needs of the audience.
- Decision Making- Integrates logic, intuition, and sound judgment to analyze information
to identify the greatest opportunities, make sound decisions and solve problems.
- Innovation- Participate in the generation, experimentation, and implementation of new
approaches and activities that improve and expand the Y’s mission and work.
- Commitment to Quality Results – Demonstrates and fosters a strong commitment to
achieving goals in a manner that provides quality experiences
- Self-Development- Is dedicated to the improvement of own capabilities, and
demonstrates this through the continual expansion of knowledge and skills.
- Change Capacity- Leads self and others through change by navigating ambiguity
appropriately and adapting well to new situations, obstacles, and opportunities.
- Emotional Maturity- Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills.
The member relations aspect of this position requires that relationship building be a top priority
at all times, attending to the needs and requests of members, program participants, volunteers,
and all people associated with the YMCA in a courteous and friendly manner.
Job Responsibilities –
- Promotes and incorporates the YMCA five core values.
- Assists in the distribution of program information.
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with other community organizations.
- Assists in branch fundraising activities and special events.
- Responds to all member and community inquiries and complaints professional, friendly and timely manner.
- Serve as an exempt staff member to the YMCA of Austin, performing those duties as assigned by Branch Director and President/CEO of the YMCA.
- Actively and enthusiastically support the Branch and Association goals and directions through the effective completion of tasks and verbal display to peers, staff, members, and guests.
- Supervise existing fitness programs such as aerobics scheduling and staffing, free-weight training, floor supervision, and Senior Fitness.
- Develop new member fitness orientation programming in conjunction with the Membership Department.
- Provide training for Fitness Staff to ensure quality and knowledge.
- Evaluate department staff regularly and formally once a year.
- Meet and exceed department budget.
- Personally participate and solicit others for necessary YMCA financial development programs such as Annual Campaign, World Service and capital projects.
- Participate in the association Health & Wellness Impact Team.
- Serve as a branch representative for additional impact teams and/or task forces as requested by Branch Executive.
- Promote membership & membership retention.
- Prepare and supervise department budget.
- Develop new programs either on or off-site.
- Develop ongoing programs to serve various specific populations such as, but not limited to, teens, families and active older adults.
- Develop and implement an ongoing equipment preventive maintenance program.
- Develop and implement an ongoing quality assurance program with a goal to meet and/or exceed association and national standards related to the field of Health & Wellness.
- Develop a professional development plan for continued growth and attend necessary and elective trainings, making a good faith effort towards becoming a Team Leader and/or Multi-Team Leader
- Assume additional responsibilities as assigned.
- Help manage and work with the Community Garden Board in order to maintain and expand growth of the Community Garden.
- Develop and manage the community garden budget.
- Meet monthly with community garden board.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education - Bachelors degree from four-year college or university in kinesiology, recreation management, physical education, sports management or a related field preferred.
- Experience – 1 or 2 years of previous experience delivering fitness programs and managing
- Certifications - Certification in at least 2 relevant modalities. This could include, but is not limited to, yoga, Zumba, BodyPump, personal training and Pilates or must be certified by 90 days of employment.
- Ability to manage projects and coordinate events in conjunction with other staff members and volunteers in order to achieve long and short-range goals of the Association.
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet strict deadlines.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Knowledge of member relations system and/or database.
- Advance skills in Microsoft Office, especially Excel, Word, Outlook.
- Ability to apply knowledge of accounting and finance basics.
- Must assume responsibility for accuracy and timeliness of work product.
- Willingness to work evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed to meet deadlines and/or complete scheduled Manager on duty shifts.
- Able to multi-task.
- Bilingual Preferred
The salary range for this position is $38,000-42,000 depending on experience and full benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance, plus employer matched retirement upon reaching eligibility.
TO APPLY: Apply online at www.AustinYMCAJobs.org