Under the direction of the Health & Wellness Director, the Health and Wellness (H/W) Coordinator is essential to inspiring and leading a welcoming and nurturing atmosphere in the daily operation of Group Exercise Programs within the Health and Wellness (H/W) Department at the Hays YMCA. The H/W Coordinator is responsible for consistent communication with members, supporting instructors, ensuring seamless Group Exercise program quality and providing leadership in facility management. The member relations aspect of this position requires that relationship building be a top priority at all times, attending to the needs and requests of members, program participants, volunteers, and all people associated with the YMCA in a courteous and friendly manner
How you will contribute to our Cause:
The Y’s cause is to strengthen the community. Every day we work side by side with our neighbors to make sure everyone, regardless of age, income, or background, has the opportunity to learn, grow, and thrive. There are many places to work, but few opportunities to do work that matters. Not only will you have the chance to help children, youth and adults of all ages reach their potential, you’ll be making a huge difference in your community as well.
- Responsible for assisting H/W Director with the supervision of all H/W Instructors.
- Provide coaching and training for instructors when needed and oversight of our Healthy Living Programming (Ex: Livestrong @ the YMCA, Caregiver U, and Nutrition Education)
- Build effective, authentic relationships with members; help members connect with each other and the YMCA
- Respond to all member and community inquiries and complaints in a timely manner utilizing written and verbal communication, including phone and face-to-face
- Compose written monthly reports that include member stories, a summary of programs, facility and staffing updates, and the impact on the Y mission and cause
- Serve as a member of the Hays Y Key Leadership Team setting the example as a Cause-Driven Leader
- Actively participate in the Annual Campaign to assist in meeting the branch fundraising goal
- Ability to work a flexible work schedule to ensure regular exposure to members and instructors at all times throughout the week, including early mornings, evenings, and/or weekends
- Display determination in supporting instructors as needed, assisting with finding subs or stepping in to teach classes and avoid class cancellations at all costs
- Develop Group Exercise schedules with input from members and H/W Director
- Develop and maintain a member feedback system for tracking and enhancing the member experience
- Provide consistent and accurate information to members on class and instructor schedules and changes
- Lead hiring, on-boarding, evaluating and training of H/W instructors with support of H/W Director
- Participate and observe 1-2 classes/week to provide regular feedback and support to instructors as well as engaging with members
- Provide regular staff recognition to H/W Instructors Ensure member safety through program audits, equipment inspection, and current instructor certifications
- Track participation to share program impact on the Y community
- Reset program studios daily to ensure all equipment is functionally safe and in place, floors are clean and clear, and the temperature is safe for exercise
- Conduct monthly inventory of Group Exercise supplies and needs for programs.
- Order additional supplies as needed within the budget
- Prepare the H/W Department for bi-annual Association audit (Spring and Fall)
- Provide regular communication to Occupancy Team with regard to maintenance and cleaning needs.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
What you bring to the Cause: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education - Bachelor’s Degree in Exercise Science or related field preferred, but not required. Primary Group Exercise certification required (i.e. AFAA, ACE, NESTA, etc.)
Experience - At least 1 year of experience supervising staff and at least 2+ years of experience teaching a variety of group exercise classes. Technical Skills Strong written and verbal communications skills High proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Excel, Word, and Outlook Must assume responsibility for accuracy and timeliness of work product Proven ability to multi-task and work well under pressure to meet strict deadlines
Pay Rate: Pay rate ranges from $14.00 to $18.00 per hour, depending on experience, with a full benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance plus employer-matched retirement upon reaching eligibility.
The organization has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills, and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate.
The YMCA of Austin provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. YMCA of Austin complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which we have employees.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.