El Buen Samaritano Episcopal Mission (“El Buen”) is seeking a Grant Writer to engage in grant researching and writing activities in support of the organization’s strategic fundraising efforts. The position is responsible for the preparation of proposals and grant applications, the research and identification of private grant opportunities, the development and implementation of funding calendar activities, and the engagement of program officers at organizations to solicit invitations, and submit proposals and reports
• Acquires and maintains sound knowledge and understanding of the organization, and uses that knowledge and understanding to better comprehend all projects and programs for which grants will be sought and to recommend the seeking of grants.
• Researches grant-making organizations and analyzes them to identify likely funding sources for specific projects and programs.
• Compiles writes and edits all grant applications, exhibiting strong expository writing skills and a high-level command of grammar and spelling.
• Reviews the budget of a project or program for which funding is sought and makes recommendations to better present it to grant-making organizations.
• Develops individual grant proposals in accordance with each grant-making organization’s preferences and follows exactly each grant-making organization’s guidelines.
• Keeps in contact with grant-making organizations during their review of a submitted grant application in order to be able to supply additional supportive material.
• Performs program audits to ensure grant requirements are being met throughout the grant term.
• Prepares grant reports to illustrate funding status, budget adherence and performance metrics and provide to funders.
• Serves as a liaison to all funding organizations
• Provides support to development department projects as needed
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Marketing, Journalism or other job related field, and
• Minimum of (3) years professional grant writing experience within a nonprofit environment
• Excellent writing skills, and proven ability to construct clear and compelling proposals
• Proficiency in the use of a personal computer, specifically Microsoft Office Suite.
• Experience using Raiser’s Edge preferred.
• Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of employee, donor, benefactor, and constituent information.
• Thorough working knowledge of fundraising practices, procedures and philosophies.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
• Typical office setting • Continuous indoor work
• Frequent activity requiring the ability to stand, walk and/or reach with hands and arms
• Rapid work pace, with frequent deadlines
• Must be able to communicate in person and by phone
Candidates considered will be required to provide a grant writing success portfolio. A criminal background check will be conducted on all final candidates. Safeguarding certification is required in order to work as an employee at El Buen Samaritano Episcopal Mission (El Buen), an institution of the Diocese of Texas. The steps in this process help to protect the individuals who are employees; the children, youth or adults with whom you work, and the institution (El Buen) where you work. Our goal is to make El Buen a safe place where each person is treated with care and respect. The qualifications and physical demands listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made in accordance with the ADA to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.