Want to help start an organization that supports young girls becoming their best selves? Talk to us about becoming a volunteer board member of Girls on the Run Austin. Join the movement and help impact girls and families in your community.
The mission of Girls on the Run is to inspire girls to be joyful, healthy and confident through an intentional curriculum that creatively integrates running. With over 210 councils nationwide, Girls on the Run is a truly unique physical activity-based, positive youth development program for young girls in 3rd to 8th grade. Girls on the Run Austin is seeking passionate board members to support the organization through fundraising activities, event planning, and accounting expertise (CPA preferred).
As a Girls on the Run Board Member, you will:
- Possess a passion for and commitment to improving the lives and opportunities of girls in 3rd through 8th grades.
- Provide leadership, vision, and direction to council to ensure the program meets the needs of participants, volunteers and the community with an emphasis on diversity and inclusivity.
- Identify and develop key volunteers and leverage board members to assist with long-term goals and planning.
- In conjunction the Council Director, create and implement a financial development plan that includes, but is not limited to, individual gifts, corporate sponsorships, grants, and special events, including 5K, to ensure that fundraising goals are achieved.
- Develop community relationships to cultivate donors and volunteers.
- Establish community partnerships with like-minded organizations that are well-aligned with GOTR mission.
- Develop relationships with schools and potential sites for programming.
- With input the Council Director, create and implement a council development plan that includes program and site development strategies, marketing and awareness strategies, and community and volunteer engagement strategies.
- Build a culture of quality, inclusivity and diversity among the council and its stakeholders.
- Serves as an ambassador for GOTR, exhibiting GOTR core values. Continuously work to achieve the GOTR mission.
- Develop positive relationships with volunteers, board members, donors, sponsors, parents, participants, media and other community members.
- Maintain ethical standards and accountability, manage risk, perform due diligence, and implement operational best practices.
- Attend at least 80 percent of board meetings, which take place from noon to 1:00 on the first Thursday of each month.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about our mission and who has a track record of volunteer service. Selected board members will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing board members.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector in Austin.
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of women and girls in their community.
- Service on GOTR Riverside Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support in relation to member’s duties.
- Contribute a minimum of $350 annually to Girls on the Run Austin.
Email Alicia.firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more