Community Engagement Specialist
The Girls Empowerment Network (GEN) is currently seeking an energetic, highly organized, personable individual to assist with community engagement efforts. The Community Engagement Specialist will help educate the public about GEN programs, assist with the growth and expansion of multiple We Are Girls Conferences, and recruit, train, and manage We Are Girls Conference volunteers.
Highlighted position responsibilities:
- Assist with the management, growth, and expansion of multiple We Are Girls Conferences including:
- Work with schools to manage the registration of large groups for each We Are Girls Conference.
- Assist with We Are Girls Conference outreach and promotion.
- Oversee recruitment and management of volunteers who support We Are Girls Conferences.
- Community outreach and recruitment:
- Tabling at high-impact community events to promote GEN’s programs
- Promoting GEN volunteer opportunities and internships with diverse populations to fill all agency needs.
- Preparing and delivering community presentations to spread awareness about programs including the We Are Girls Conference.
- Administrative duties and other tasks as assigned to support community engagement and event management.
- Part time, 20 hours a week, flexible schedule. Most hours will fall M-F during the 9am and 6pm time frame, however, evening and weekend work will be required as needed for community outreach and events.
- $17.51/hour compensation.
- Based in our offices at 3000 S. IH 35, Suite 400, Austin, TX, with frequent travel throughout Central Texas and periodic statewide travel for outreach (mileage reimbursed at the federal recommended level.)
- Start date: Normal work schedule will start Tuesday, September 4th. Our hope is that the Community
Engagement Specialist will also be able to attend:
- GEN’s all staff retreat on Monday, August 13th, 9am-5pm and
- Training on Saturday, September 8th, 9:30am-4:30pm.
- Position sits within the Development and Community Engagement department.
- Strong personal alignment with and a commitment to the mission of GEN.
- 1+ years experience in event planning, volunteer management, communications, and/or movement building.
- A leader with a can-do spirit and a natural ability to build positive relationships with other people very quickly.
- A self-starter who embraces new challenges and is internally motivated to succeed.
- Strong communication skills, both in-person and through email.
- Comfortable with and skilled in:
- Trouble-shooting challenges and coming to responsible solutions,
- Balancing multiple deadlines and projects simultaneously,
- Working as a part of a team and balancing multiple projects to deliver high quality work,
- Public speaking and championing the GEN mission,
- Working with diverse populations, and
- Representing an agency in the community.
- Reliable transportation.
- English/Spanish bilingual highly preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
- Experience volunteering with GEN or past attendance at the We Are Girls Conference.
- Experience managing projects which require frequent communication with many groups of stakeholders
(volunteers, schools, etc.)
- Experience managing outreach for a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
- Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line
“Community Engagement Specialist.”
In addition to describing your background and qualifications, please include the following topics in your cover
letter (maximum of 2 pages, single spaced):
- What is your connection to the GEN mission and what do you think are some of the biggest issues facing girls today?
- Tell us about a time you were responsible for a successful event or project and what made it a success.
- Share some of your experiences working with a successful volunteer team—either as a volunteer manager or as a member of a volunteer group and what role you played on the team.
- Please name your resume Lastname_Firstname_resume and your cover letter Lastname_Firstname_letter, for
example: Jones_Jessica_resume and Jones_Jessica_letter
Application materials will be accepted through Friday, July 20th.
About Girls Empowerment Network
Founded in 1996, Girls Empowerment Network’s mission is to ignite the power in girls by teaching them the skills to thrive and believe in their ability to become unstoppable. Girls are at risk of not reaching their potential, especially if adolescence affects them too adversely. When girls learn and practice skills with GEN, their self-efficacy increases. When they increase their self-efficacy, they strengthen their internal belief in their power. When they feel powerful, they can be unstoppable. Our vision is to help 50,000 girls ignite their power by 2020.