Development Assistant Austin Symphony Orchestra Society, Inc. Area of focus: Development Job type(s): The Austin Symphony Orchestra seeks an energetic and organized fundraising professional to join one of the most exciting performing arts organizations in Central Texas.
Location: Austin, Texas Status: Full Time, includes medical, dental insurance and paid vacation
Work Experience: 2 Years of Development Experience Preferred
Duties and Responsibilities: The Development Assistant is an integral member of the development team at the Austin Symphony, playing a vital role in donor database management, gift entry, grant writing, and administrative support to the development department. A successful candidate must be passionate about the mission, motivated to produce a high volume of accurate and detailed work, customer-oriented, and adept at multi-tasking and problem-solving.
The Development Assistant will help in all development-related activities as needed, and the following list reflects essentials for this job, but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned:
Donor Database Management
- Manage donor data in Tessitura Database which involves annual/quarterly/weekly/daily updates, merges, constituent cleanup, household creation, etc.
- Build annual campaigns, appeals, memberships, and funds in Tessitura.
- Process, post, and report on donations from Individuals, Businesses, and Foundations and also on funds from After-Concert Parties, Arbor, BATS, and Board Dues.
- Manage and process stock gifts, liaising with bank.
- Monitor accounts receivable and outstanding collections.
- Maintain records of post reports, annual fund response forms, and phonathon forms.
- Run and track donor special billings.
- Manage corporate matching: communication, applications, and approvals with companies; processing & tracking of matching funds.
- Process, post, and report on web donations for Annual Fund and Endowment.
- Track customer service reports for web donations.
- Run and send quarterly pledge reminders and donor invoices.
- Generate and configure phonathon data, print phonathon forms, and assist at event.
- Manage donor listings module in Tessitura: create and manage season program listings and updates for business partners, matching grants, in- kind, and individual donors.
- Generate mass mailing lists for the Annual Fund Brochure and VIP Parking Passes.
- Submit tickets for staff questions and problems to Tessitura Task Support Contact. Administrative Support
- Develop and sustain meaningful working relationships and communications with donors, board members, VIPs, volunteers, staff, and other stakeholders.
- Attend concerts and education programs, and assist with cultivation activities.
- Acknowledge gifts and sponsorships in a timely manner with formal letters and handwritten notes.
- Keep detailed files of acknowledgments and correspondence with donors, corporations, government agencies and foundations for an annual audit and legal purposes.
- Coordinate logistics for Annual Fund Phonathon and Mini-Phonathon.
- Take photos at development events.
- Re-order development supplies as needed. Grants Coordination
- Conduct preliminary research on prospective institutional donors.
- Handle the gathering of materials and writing of corporate, foundation, city and state grant applications and final reports.
- Liaise with Education Department on education-oriented grants.
- Coordinate with Controller for the gathering of financials. Corporate Sponsorships Support
- Invoice and track sponsorship contributions, acknowledgements, coordinate with controller.
- Coordinate sponsor signs and ensure sponsor logos are up-to-date.
- Design tailored thank you cards for VIPs and sponsors using special software.
- Produce “end of season” thank you packets to corporate donors.
Reports: To the Director of Development
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Minimum of two years’ experience in a development department preferred.
- Experience with database management and gift entry, ideally in Tessitura, preferred.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Facility with cultivating strong interpersonal relationships.
- Excellent decision-making, priority setting and handling of challenges; high energy level and impeccable follow-through.
- Exceptional reporting and record-keeping skills; easily manage and tracks multiple projects at different stages; superior attention to detail.
- Experience navigating a grant from initial contact to the reporting phase preferred.
- Computer literate; Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, & Outlook)
- Team player with the ability to work independently with little supervision
- Desire to learn continuously and increase effectiveness as a professional; offer and receive constructive feedback; willingness to be flexible and to go above and beyond.
- Experience in the performing arts fields a plus. Salary is competitive within the industry, commensurate with experience and expertise, and includes a competitive benefits package.
The mission of the Austin Symphony Orchestra Society, Inc. is to enhance the cultural quality of life for the adults and young people of Austin and Central Texas by providing excellence in music performance and educational programs. Deadline for applications: August 23, 2019 Austin Symphony Orchestra Society, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. A criminal background check will be conducted prior to hiring. A period of evaluation will be required.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: Please email Todd Waldman at email@example.com and attach your cover letter, resume, and list of three professional references as a single Adobe PDF file. Please make your subject line: Development Assistant Position. No phone calls or physical mail please.