Front Steps’ Community Engagement Manager leads volunteer management, in-kind donations, and community outreach programs. The Community Engagement Manager runs our volunteer program--we have some amazing volunteers who thrive on organization and appreciation. We are launching two new engagement efforts this year: a monthly Open House/Tour at the shelter at 7th and Neches and our Front Steps Ambassador Program—both to be led by the Community Engagement Manager. In every role, success is defined by communicating about the issues, the needs of our clients experiencing homelessness, and the work of our nonprofit--all to attract investment (time, talent, and/or treasure) from the community. Training and professional development opportunities will be provided. This isn't a "sit at a desk" position! The ideal candidate brings kindness, mad skills for scheduling, and the gift of making genuine connections.
- Team with the Director of Development to plan and implement an annual calendar for outreach thru the Ambassador Program.
- Keep training materials up to date for volunteers, staff, and board members who participate in outreach efforts.
- Work with the Development Team and program staff (shelter and off-site programs) to optimize a volunteer program that increases our impact.
- Create demand for our tours and presentations.
- Maintain accurate records documenting volunteer hours, donated goods/services, and the reach of our presentations for reporting to funders and including in the annual audit.
- Coordinate staff reporting measures to ensure timely grant reporting and compliance.
- Seek out ways to use our existing donor/volunteer engagement software programs and emerging technologies to strengthen our relationships with these constituencies.
- Work with the development team to create collateral materials (signs, brochures, videos) to reach audiences.
- At least 2 years of experience in nonprofit work or a Bachelor’s degree--or an incredible skill set that suits the workload!
- Professional communication skills. This position requires public speaking and listening.
- Detail oriented with superb organization and time management skills.
- The Community Engagement Manager moves through the workplace and the community making connections between our clients/staff and the public.
- Technology aptitude. Learning and using the software tools to do the work.
- Willingness to accommodate special events and campaign chores as needed.
- Must possess genuine interest in the mission of Front Steps.
Workplace and Physical Demands:
This workplace is based inside the downtown shelter for homeless men. All our staff anticipate interacting with clients routinely during a workday. Respect for clients and the rules are essential.
This position has some light physical demands, i.e. spending hours listening and talking; working on the computer and phone; driving to appointments and events; and moving of boxes (donations, office supplies, etc.) on occasion.
Evening or weekend hours related to volunteer workload, deadlines or special events will occur, and there’s flexibility with the work week hours so everything gets done and you maintain work/life balance.