The Waller Creek Conservancy (WCC) is a nonprofit organization established in 2011 to spearhead one of this country’s boldest new urban development projects in the heart of downtown Austin. Working in close partnership with the City of Austin, WCC will transform 28 acres of land along a 1.5-mile stretch of the downtown creek into a chain of parks and public open spaces. Plans for the park system include a network of trails and pedestrian bridges, an iconic new music venue, art installations, playscapes and community programming, all uniquely organized around a natural urban ecology.
The Communications Coordinator is responsible for managing Waller Creek Conservancy’s communications. The Communications Coordinator will create compelling content for social media channels, website, and external email communications that engage and authentically connects with broad and diverse audiences. This person will also coordinate PR & media relations. The Coordinator will work across all departments to develop marketing and outreach materials as well as provide communications support. This person must maintain consistency in the organization’s messaging and visual identity across various platforms and ensure that staff has the tools to do the same. The Communications Coordinator reports to the Director of Engagement.
- Develop external communications that align with the organization’s key strategic objectives.
- Boost brand awareness
- Increase event attendance
- Connect with broad and diverse audiences across Austin
- Support fundraising goals (capital campaign and annual fund)
- Manage the WCC brand and maintain consistent messaging, both internally and externally, across all platforms; enforce style guide organization-wide.
- Develop messaging and talking points around key initiatives and advocacy issues.
- Create and manage cross-departmental communications calendar.
- Create engaging written and visual content.
- Manage all social channels.
- Produce content at events
- Track platform growth
- Maintain and update organization’s website.
- Manage PR & media relations efforts.
- Cultivate relationships with local media outlets
- Create and pitch story ideas on a regular basis
- Raise the profile of the project in the media both locally and nationally
- Act as media contact at WCC events
- Identify and expand WCC media base in historically underrepresented communities
- Working with graphic designer, create printed and electronic materials, including:
- Email newsletters and blasts
- Magazine-style printed reports
- Fundraising campaigns and solicitation materials
- Event announcements, invitations, programs, and signage
- Outreach materials about the project
- Collect analytics and metrics to evaluate and drive communications initiatives.
- Stay informed on new marketing applications and communications tools.
- Proofread and edit content produced by other staff.
- Other tasks as needed Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, or related field
- 2-3 years of communications, PR, social media, and marketing experience
- proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite with a strong design sensibility
- Photography and/or videography experience.
- Experience in a non-profit setting.
- Proficiency/fluency in Spanish or any additional languages.
- Public speaking. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent writer with a strong command of English grammar.
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Possess a strong understanding of cross-cultural communication and strive for cultural proficiency in all communications.
- Mission-driven with a desire to add value and grow with the organization.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment.
- Ability to self-direct work and follow through without being prompted.
- Highly responsive to internal and external requests.
- Commitment to the values of equity and inclusivity.
- Fiscally responsible and uses reasoned judgment.
To apply, qualified applicants are invited to submit via email to email@example.com:
- Cover letter outlining your distinctive qualifications plus interests and goals that equip you to be a strong fit with the Conservancy’s mission
- Three professional references
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. No phone calls, please.
Waller Creek Conservancy will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation.