YNPN Austin seeks to hold a space where everyone feels welcome and respected. This code of conduct is to establish and protect an atmosphere of inclusion.
All YNPN Austin events should be a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, or religious beliefs. All attendees, speakers, and volunteers must agree with this code of conduct. We must all cooperate to ensure a safe and inclusive environment for everybody.
As organizers, YNPN Austin will enforce this code of conduct at all of our events. Anyone who breaks this code of conduct may be asked to leave, without a refund, at the discretion of the organizers.
YNPN Austin Values
Our Code of Conduct and Harassment Policy is based on our mission to provide accessible professional development opportunities that empower young leaders and advance the nonprofit community. In alignment with this mission, our values include: Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion; Accessibility; Collaboration and Partnership; Empowerment; Learning and Professional Development.
The following behaviors are expected and requested of all community members:
- Participate in an authentic and active way.
- Exercise consideration and respect in your speech and actions.
- Attempt collaboration before conflict.
- Refrain from demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behavior and speech.
- Be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow participants. Alert YNPN Austin Board Members if you notice a dangerous situation, someone in distress, or violations of this Code of Conduct, even if they seem inconsequential.
The following behaviors are considered harassment and are unacceptable within our community:
- Violence, threats of violence or violent language directed against another person.
- Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
- Posting or displaying sexually explicit or violent material.
- Posting or threatening to post other people’s personally identifying information.
- Personal insults, particularly those related to gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, or disability.
- Inappropriate photography or recording.
- Inappropriate physical contact. You should have someone’s consent before touching them.
- Unwelcome sexual attention. This includes, sexualized comments or jokes; inappropriate touching, groping, and unwelcome sexual advances.
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking or following (online or in person).
- YNPN Austin events are not for people to attend with the sole purpose of selling or recruiting.
- Yelling at or threatening speakers or other attendees (verbally or physically).
- Sustained disruption of community events, including talks and presentations.
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behavior.
- Speakers are asked to frame discussions as openly and inclusively as possible and to be aware of how language or images may be perceived by others.
- Participants may exercise their option to leave a session or a conversation.
Consequences of Unacceptable Behavior
Unacceptable behavior from any community member, including sponsors and those with decision-making authority, will not be tolerated. Anyone asked to stop unacceptable behavior is expected to comply immediately. If an attendee or presenter engages in unacceptable behavior, we may take any action deemed appropriate, up to and including an expulsion from events without warning or refund.
If necessary in case of extreme or repeated violations, the YNPN Austin Executive team may choose to terminate a YNPN Austin membership or Board of Directors appointment, with no membership or board dues refund given.
Where and when this code of conduct applies
We expect participants to follow this code of conduct at any external venue and related social events, such as post-event drinks, networking discussions, meetups and workshops. This code includes but is not limited to: all YNPN Austin members, event attendees, sponsors, speakers, and venue hosts.
What to do if you have a concern
If you are being harassed or feel uncomfortable, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please speak to a YNPN Austin Board Member immediately. You may also email firstname.lastname@example.org to report violations. All complaints will be kept confidential to the YNPN Austin Executive team.
Our team is here to listen to your concerns or questions and you don’t have to make a formal report unless you want to. You do not have to give us details of the harassment or uncomfortable situation. If you wish to report it, we will take details of the harassment and work with you to respond to the issue in a way that helps you feel safe.
If necessary, organizers may help participants contact police or venue security (if the event is at an external venue), provide escorts, or otherwise assist those experiencing harassment to feel safe for the duration of the event.