The Austin Symphony Orchestra seeks an energetic and organized fundraising professional to join one of the most exciting performing arts organizations in Central Texas.
Location: Austin, Texas
Status: Full Time, includes medical, dental insurance and paid vacation
Work Experience: 2 Years of Development Experience Preferred
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Development Assistant is an integral member of the development team at the Austin Symphony, playing a vital role in donor relations, grant writing, and administrative support to the Development Office. A successful Development Assistant must be passionate about the ASO’s mission, motivated to produce a high volume of accurate and detailed work, customer-oriented, and adept at multi-tasking and problem-solving. The Development Assistant will assist the development department in all activities as needed, and the following list reflects essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned:
• Develop and sustain meaningful working relationships and communications with major donors, board members, VIPs, volunteers, staff, and other stakeholders.
• Attend concerts and education programs, and assist with cultivation activities.
• Acknowledge gifts and sponsorships in a timely manner with formal letters & handwritten notes.
• Keep detailed files of acknowledgements and correspondence with donors, corporations, government agencies and foundations for annual audit and legal purposes.
• Learn Tessitura database for backup gift entry, data report running, and list building.
• Help coordinate logistics for Annual Fund Phonathon and Mini-Phonathon.
• Track and help coordinate donor benefits.
• Coordinate and track VIP invitations to concerts and other events.
• Assist in preparation of Development Committee Meetings.
• Take photos at development events.
• Re-order development supplies as needed.
• Organize and supervise fundraising interns for the organization (as needed).
Corporate Sponsorships Support
• Assist in production of development presentation materials.
• Assist in designing and implementing the concert sponsor experience.
• Invoice and track sponsorship contributions, coordinate with controller.
• Coordinate sponsor signs and ensure sponsor logos are up-to-date.
• Design tailored thank you cards for VIPs and sponsors using special software.
• Produce “end of season” thank you packets to corporate donors.
• Help produce sponsor-related concert program pages.
• Conduct preliminary research on prospective institutional donors.
• Handle the gathering of materials and writing of corporate, foundation, city and state grant applications and final reports.
• Coordinate with Education Director on education-oriented grants.
Reporting: To the Director of Development
• Bachelor’s Degree required.
• Minimum of two years’ experience in a development department preferred.
• Facility with cultivating strong interpersonal relationships.
• Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
• Excellent decision-making, priority setting and handling of challenges; high energy level and impeccable follow-through.
• Exceptional reporting and record-keeping skills; easily manages and tracks multiple projects at different stages; superior attention to detail.
• Experience navigating a grant from initial contact to the reporting phase preferred.
• Computer literate; Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, & Outlook); experience in ticketing software and donor database software preferred
• Team player with the ability to work independently with little supervision
• Desire to continuously learn and increase effectiveness as a professional; offer and receive constructive feedback; willingness to be flexible and to go above and beyond.
• Experience in the performing arts field a plus.
Salary is competitive within the industry, commensurate with experience and expertise, and includes a competitive benefits package.
Please email Todd Waldman at firstname.lastname@example.org and attach your cover letter, resume, and list of three professional references as a single Adobe PDF file. Please make your subject line: Development Assistant Position. No phone calls or physical mail please.
The mission of the Austin Symphony Orchestra Society, Inc. is to enhance the cultural quality of life for the adults and young people of Austin and Central Texas by providing excellence in music performance and educational programs.
Deadline for applications: July 20, 2018
Austin Symphony Orchestra Society, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. A criminal background check will be conducted prior to hiring. A period of evaluation will be required.