PROGRAM SPECIALIST JOB DESCRIPTION
Department: Programs & Training FLSA Status: Non- Exempt
Reports To: Digital Literacy Program Manager Funding Sources: Grant
ABOUT AUSTIN FREE-NET
Since 1995, Austin Free-Net (AFN) has provided technology training and access for the Greater Austin community, fostering skills that enable people to succeed in a digital age. Our computer labs and classes are open to all, though our primary focus is on underserved communities.
Manage computer/Internet classes and/or clinics and public Internet access lab(s) hosted at Community Technology Access Lab (CTAL) partner sites. Coordinate course materials, evaluations, and create strategies for class participants. Send reminder messages to participants regarding classes and/or training, and track evaluations for reporting purposes. Assist and offer suggestions for curricular materials. Track number of participants, demographic information and feedback for reporting purposes.
- Work with the AFN management team and CTAL partner site manager(s) to coordinate and deliver training and extended access hours for CTAL partner sites.
- Assume responsibility for working with the AFN management team to ensure the appropriate materials and supplies are available for training needs for the CTAL partner sites.
- Coordinate all preparatory work leading to training and workshops at CTAL partner sites. This includes document creation using Word and Excel, managing and packing training supplies and corresponding with CTAL sites via email, phone, and in person.
- Assist CTAL partner sites and AFN staff in the development of sustainable outreach and training plans.
- Provide direct training to CTAL partner clients and volunteers.
- Work with CTAL partner sites to gather and report in a timely manner all required CTAL training statistics.
- Manage forms and data collection by collaborating directly with AFN staff and staff at CTAL partner sites after each session.
- Assist the team in identifying, recruiting, training, and utilizing community volunteers.
- Participate as an active team member with the AFN training team creating a common set of “best practices” for partner agencies to use to identify and recommend curricula, clinic trainings, professional development for program specialists, creating catalogs, handouts, and other documentation as required.
General program responsibilities:
- Participate in program meetings, staff meetings, off-site trainings and retreats.
- Work collaboratively with other team members to achieve overall team goals.
- Contribute new ideas regarding the sustainability for outreach programs.
- Understand and communicate the AFN mission to CTAL partner sites staff, clients, donors, and other stakeholders and other tasks as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in Education, Social Work, or equivalent
- Good listener; patient teacher
- A team player with a positive attitude and a passion for the AFN mission
- Experience working with one or more underrepresented or vulnerable population groups, adult learners, low income communities, people experiencing homelessness
- Demonstrated experience leading presentations and/or training sessions
- Detail-oriented with strong writing skills
- Proven organizational and problem-solving skills
- Strong people skills
- Team player who is also capable of working independently and with minimal oversight
- Demonstrated flexibility when priorities change
- Capacity to thrive under pressure while working on multiple tasks and projects
- Ability to set priorities for self, and adjust when priorities change
- Proficient using all Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, etc.
- IT training or solution skills
Experience working with people experiencing homelessness
This position has no supervisory responsibilities
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
- Communicates orally with management, co-workers and the public in face-to face, one-to-one, and group settings.
- Regularly uses a telephone and e-mail for communication.
- Uses office equipment such as computers, copiers, and fax machines.
- Sits for extended time periods.
- Hearing and vision within normal ranges.
- Uses hands to finger, handle and feel and reach with hands and arms.
- Frequent sitting, standing, walking, bending and twisting upper body.
- Capable of lifting up to 20lbs.
- Capable of viewing computer monitor for long periods.
Job Type: Full-time
To apply, email cover letter (no more than one page) and resume to: email@example.com