Under the direction of District Executive Director, the Associate Executive is responsible for the organization, delivery, and quality of YMCA programs to Y members, program participants, and the community. Specifically, this position is responsible for the development, management, supervision, and coordination of branch operations: including, but not limited to, Afterschool Child Care, Camps, and Learning Centers.
About Us The YMCA of Austin is a 501(c)(3) non-profit serving over 65,000 members and 30,000 program participants every year. The Y is dedicated to building programs for youth development, for healthy living, and for social responsibility that promotes strong families, youth leadership, and community development.
Our Culture Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. It’s who we are, who we aspire to be and how we show up every day. We are cause-driven. We don’t just show up, we show up with purpose. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you. Join us and help transform lives.
Job Summary Under the direction of District Executive Director, the Associate Executive is responsible for the organization, delivery, and quality of YMCA programs to Y members, program participants, and the community. Specifically, this position is responsible for the development, management, supervision, and coordination of branch operations: including, but not limited to, Afterschool Child Care, Camps, and Learning Centers. Additionally, this position is responsible for assisting with regular business operations, board development, fundraising, staff training and development, program development, community outreach, special events, financial planning and maintenance of the budget, and all other duties as assigned. This position works independently, under general direction, and is expected to determine how to accomplish tasks.
Essential Functions: Responsible for the daily program operations, including staff & participant experience, training, hiring, evaluations, communication, and all related and required paperwork. The member relations aspect of this position requires that relationship building be a top priority at all times, attending to the needs and requests of participants, members, and all people associated with the YMCA in a courteous and friendly manner.
- Supervisory Responsibilities—Directly supervises full time, part-time, and non-exempt employees and volunteers. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Recruits, trains, and develops full time, part-time, and non-exempt program staff and volunteers.
- Plans assign and direct staff and volunteer work.
- Coaches, rewards, and evaluates staff and volunteers.
- Addresses complaints and resolves problems.
- Plans, reviews, and evaluates program areas, as assigned.
- Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of and participation in programs, including creating plans of action based on evaluations/suggestions.
- Ensures training is created and offered for full and part-time staff in order to meet branch objectives, licensing standards, and out-of-school time best practices.
- Establishes new program activities/initiatives and expands programs in accordance with strategic plans.
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with other community organizations.
- Ensures coordination of all program locations and cultivation of relationships with school or other personnel.
- Creates recruitment strategies for staff, program participants, and volunteers.
- Provides leadership and guidance for all program and branch initiatives.
- Develops, monitors, and adheres to budgets to meet fiscal objectives.
- Attends appropriate trainings and meetings to enhance the knowledge of youth development and out-of-school time programming.
- Promotes and incorporates the YMCA five core values, 40 Developmental Assets, and TEKS standards into curriculum and program implementation.
- Provides leadership in all facets of the Annual Campaign. Assists with the development of Association Strategic Plan and implementation of the Branch Strategic Plan.
- Develops preventative safety maintenance plans for all program areas and monitor daily operations to adhere to all state, local, and YMCA health and safety regulations.
- Participates in Program Services and YMCA of Austin association special events.
- Fundraises annually to support the Y’s mission and community promises Assists in special projects and activities as required by supervisor
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university focusing on recreation management, education, child development, or related field is preferred.
- Experience: 4+ years of Youth Development professional experience including staff management required. YMCA experience preferred.
- Demonstrated maturity and leadership skills
- Experience or aptitude in supervising employees
- Energetic, assertive, and goal oriented
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Must assume responsibility for accuracy and timeliness of work product
- Willingness to work evenings, weekends, and holidays, as needed
- Ability to manage multiple objectives simultaneously
- Ability to take and provide direction and work well with others
- Interest, knowledge, skill, and enthusiasm in the area of youth development
- Ability to apply knowledge of accounting and finance basics.
- Ability to manage projects and coordinate events in conjunction with other staff members and volunteers in order to achieve long and short-range goals of the Association.
- Computer aptitude and/or experience and have the ability to write routine reports and correspondence
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of members, participants, or employees of the Association
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Certifications: YMCA Multi-Team Leader or Organizational Leader Certification strongly preferred. The position requires the Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) Program Director certification. Must be or have the ability to become certified according to HHSC standards. Hold or have the ability to become CPR, First Aid, and Basic Water Rescue certified Required to complete the following online trainings upon hire: Before & After School Program, Child Abuse Prevention, Appropriate Touch, Bloodborne Pathogens, Foundations of Listen First, and Intro to Cause and Culture.
Benefits: Full benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance, plus employer matched retirement upon reaching eligibility.
Application Instructions: Visit https://www.austinymca.org/employment-current-openings