YMCA of Austin is looking for its new Aquatics Director!
Under the direction of the Associate Executive Director the Aquatics Director will be responsible for management of all aspects of the Aquatics Department. This individual will be responsible for supervision and development of all aquatics staff, oversight of existing aquatic programs, operations and maintenance of aquatic facility, and development of new programming. This person will further ensure that all YMCA standards are being met and/or exceeded as they relate to program and membership development. This position works independently under general direction and is expected to determine how to accomplish tasks.
- Change Leadership – Facilitates, co-creates, and implements equitable change for the
good of the organization and/or community.
- Engaging Community – Builds bridges with others in the community to ensure the Y’s
work is community-focused and welcoming of all, providing community benefit.
- Communication & Influence – Listens and expresses self effectively and in a way that
engages, inspires, and builds commitment to the Y’s cause.
- Critical Thinking & Decision Making – Makes informed decision based on logic, data,
and sound judgement.
- Fiscal Management – Manages the Y’s resources responsibly and sustains the Y’s
nonprofit business model
- Functional Expertise – Executes superior technical skills for the role
- Program/Project Management – Ensures program or project goals are met and intended impact occurs.
- Developing Self & Others – Develops self and supports others both formally and informally, to achieve their highest potential.
- Emotional Maturity – Demonstrates ability to understand and manage emotions effectively in all situations
The member relations aspect of this position requires that relationship building is a top priority at all times. The Aquatics Director must attend to the needs, and requests of health seekers, members, and all people associated with the YMCA in a courteous and friendly manner, using the Y voice.
Job Responsibilities –
- Create a positive and motivational environment for all staff
- Serve as a Cause Driven Leader on Duty and/or Director on Duty according to branch schedule, and complete CDL report
- Provide leadership and coaching to department team as well as all branch teams
- Ensure program quality is of the highest regard for all department programs
- Use data-based decision making for program decisions
- Lead monthly lifeguard in-service meetings
- Representative to Impact Team for Aquatics
- Respond to all member and community inquiries and complaints in a timely manner utilizing written and verbal communication, including phone and face-to-face
- Ability to work a flexible work schedule to ensure regular exposure to members and staff at all times throughout the week, including early mornings, evenings, and/or weekends
Program and Administrative Support
- Create and schedule swim lessons, leagues, and other aquatic programs
- Ensure aquatics information is complete and up to date in member services system (Daxko), web site and mobile app at all times.
- Communicate all aquatic-related programming and events via social media, online
and through all intra-branch and inter-branch methods available.
- Organize and schedule aquatic program registrations
- Liaison for Project SAFE and other youth development and grand funded programs
- Compiles monthly program statistics to monitor participation and impact
- Participates in Association Youth &; Government (Y&G) as YMCA branch representative
- Recruits, trains, and engages high school advisor volunteers to lead the Y&G program at area schools
- Assists with planning for District and State Y&G Conferences
Communication / Mission Advancement / Strategic
- In conjunction with other exempt staff, promote and incorporate the YMCA three areas of
focus and the Y’s Cause and Culture
- Lead marketing efforts for all Aquatics programs
- Lead Department with Annual Campaign effort for staff and members
- Communicate Annual Campaign need through Y stories and testimonials
- Serve as an exempt staff member to the YMCA of Austin, performing those duties as assigned by the Associate Executive and Branch Director
- Actively and enthusiastically support the branch and association goals and directions through effective completion of tasks and verbal display to peers, staff, members and guests
- Recruit, train, develop, support and directly supervise program staff and volunteers
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws
- Conduct annual performance appraisals at least once a year, as well as staff appreciation/recognition, coaching and progressive discipline when necessary
- Monitor and update all required staff certifications, scheduling and facility needs
- Develop performance standards with full time direct staff reports that include a training plan and other development opportunities
- Ensure staff is well informed and connected to the larger branch and the strategic plan for the Association
- Address complaints and uses conflict resolution techniques to solve staff problems.
- Audit staff to ensure staff readiness and lifeguard vigilance
- Conduct necessary trainings for aquatics staff (lifeguard, swim instructors, etc.)
- Work with branch director team to offer CPR/First Aid/O2 training for branch staff
- Develop, implement, and monitor annual Aquatics budget
- Track, monitor, and adjust resources to meet financial goals
- Review and certify accuracy of department payroll
- Track and monitor Aquatics registration fees and sessions scheduled
Facilities / Risk Management
- Monitor daily pool operations to adhere to all state, local, and YMCA health and safety
- Conduct and ensure proper maintenance of pools including accurate recordkeeping of pool
chemical levels and facility maintenance.
- Perform lifeguard and swim instructor duties as required.
- Conduct monthly risk-management audits and facility inspections.
- Develop and implement on ongoing equipment preventative maintenance program.
- Works with Associate Executive Directors and other Program Directors to provide risk management drills for all staff and recommend procedural changes to ensure safety of all staff, members, guests and participants.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education: Bachelor degree from a 4 year college or university in recreation management, nonprofit management or a similar field preferred. Previous aquatics management experience preferred.
Experience: 3-5 years of professional supervisory experience required.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Interested in contributing to the mission, voice and culture of the YMCA of Austin.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Excel, Word, and Outlook and ability to quickly learn other software programs
- Able to multi-task and assume responsibility for accuracy and timeliness of work product
The salary range for this position is $36,000 – $40,000 depending on experience and full benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance, plus employer matched retirement upon reaching eligibility.
TO APPLY: Apply online at www.AustinYMCAJobs.org