JOB SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Associate Executive Director, the Adaptive Program Director will develop, organize, and implement high quality YMCA adaptive and inclusive programming for adults and youth both inside YMCA of Austin facilities as well as in and around the communities we serve. This position will also represent the YMCA of Austin at functions, events and trainings that support the overall mission of our organization and the work we do in inclusive programming. The Adaptive Program Director serves as a role-model and coach to all branch staff and helps develop a welcoming, nurturing, and thriving community within the branch.
The YMCA of Austin is a 501(c)(3) non-profit serving over 60,000 members and 30,000 program participants every year. The Y is dedicated to building programs for youth development, for healthy living and for social responsibility that promote strong families, character values, youth leadership and community development.
OUR CULTURE Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. It’s who we are, who we aspire to be and how we show up every day. We are cause-driven. We don’t just show up, we show up with purpose.
We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality.
We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world.
We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential.
We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you. Join us and help transform lives.
Mission Advancement: Reinforces the Ys values within the organization and the community. Effectively communicates the benefits and impact of the YMCAs efforts for all stakeholders. Implements effective systems to develop volunteers at program, fundraising, and policy leadership levels. Secures resources and support for all philanthropic endeavors.
Collaboration: Develops strategies to ensure staff and volunteers reflect the community. Builds and nurtures strategic relationships to enhance support for the YMCA. Serves as a community leader building collaborations based on trust and credibility to advance YMCA mission and goals. Communicates for influence to attain buy-in and support of goals. Provides tools and resource for the development of others.
Operational Effectiveness: Integrates multiple thinking processes to make decisions. Involves members and community in the development of programs and activities. Ensures execution of plans. Institutes sound accounting procedures, investment policies and financial controls. Assigns clear accountability and ensures continuous improvement.
Personal Growth: Fosters a learning environment embracing diverse abilities and approaches. Creates a sense of urgency and positive tension to support change. Anticipates challenges that can sidetrack or derail growth and personal learning. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
Relationships: Builds and nurtures strategic relationships that enhance support for the Y.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with differing abilities to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor degree from a 4-year college or higher in Social Work, non-profit management, recreation management, sports management, Physical/Occupational/Behavioral Therapy, public health or a similar field preferred.
Three years or more of direct supervision, community/member engagement, and management of large programs including adaptive programming but not limited to cognitive, physical, health and age-related modifications
Knowledge & Skills:
- Commitment to support the mission, voice, and culture of the YMCA of Austin.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to manage projects and coordinate events in conjunction with other staff members and volunteers in order to achieve long and short-range goals of the Association.
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The member relations aspect of this position requires that relationship building is a top priority at all times. The Adaptive Program Director must attend to the needs, and requests of health seekers, members, and all people associated with the YMCA in a courteous and friendly manner.
- Directs and supervises program activities to meet the needs of the community and fulfill YMCA objectives.
- Recruits, hires, trains, develops, schedules and directs personnel and volunteers as needed.
- Reviews and evaluates staff performance.
- Develops strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals.
- Establishes new program activities and expands program within the community in accordance with strategic and operating plans.
- Assists in the marketing and distribution of program information, may organize and schedule program registrations.
- May review and process program scholarship applications.
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with community organizations.
- Expands program into other communities.
- Develops and monitors program budget to meet fiscal objectives.
- Researches grants and funding to assist in new or ongoing adaptive programs.
- Coordinates use of facilities for program activities and events.
- Assists in YMCA fund raising activities and special events.
- Models relationship-building skills (including Listen First) in all interactions.
- Responds to all member and community inquiries and complaints in timely manner.
- Assists with Program Committee meetings. Compiles program statistics.
- Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of and participation in programs.
- Surveys must be measured annually at a minimum.
- Implements developmentally appropriate program curriculum and coordinates supplies for designated program(s).
- Facilitates socialization, participation and interaction of all participants through active involvement in safe, fun and developmentally appropriate activities; provides adaptations based on individual needs and utilizes positive behavior guidance techniques with participants.
- Ensures accountability and becomes familiar with individual participant needs.
- Provides leadership and coaching to
- Adaptive staff Works in conjunction with the Recruitment Manager to oversee the development and implementation of a staff recruitment program to ensure Adaptive Programs are appropriately staffed.
- Mission Advancement In conjunction with other exempt staff, promote and incorporate the YMCA three areas of focus.
- Personally participate and solicit others for necessary YMCA financial development programs such as The Annual Campaign and capital projects
- Serve as an exempt staff member to the YMCA of Austin, performing those duties as assigned by Branch Director and President/CEO of the YMCA.
- Actively and enthusiastically support the branch and association goals and directions through effective completion of tasks and verbal display to peers, staff, members and guests.