The Texas Access to Justice Foundation is the leading funding source for legal aid in Texas. We are committed to the vision that all Texans, regardless of income, will have equal access to the civil justice system, from survivors of domestic abuse to veterans seeking services to homeowners wrongly foreclosed upon and many more. The Foundation is seeking an Accountant & Compliance Specialist to join the team in our mission to provide justice for all!
This position performs a variety of accounting functions, manages the loan assistance program, and performs entry-level financial examination work.
Performs a variety of accounting functions:
- processes payments,
- maintains vendor master list,
- oversees cash receipt and bank deposit processes, and
- prepares related reports.
Work involves maintaining, preparing, posting, and balancing accounting statements, records, documents, and reports.
Performs entry-level financial examination work by assisting with fiscal desk reviews:
- examines grantees’ audits and documents any findings
- analyzes grantees’ operations, internal controls, and systems for reliability, adequacy, and compliance with grant regulations
- reconciles grantees’ accounting records and their quarterly expenditure reports to ensures reliability, adequacy, accuracy, and compliance with grant regulations, and
- reports erroneous or questionable transactions.
Responsible for student loan assistance program:
- reviews semi-annual attorney applications for accuracy, completeness, and determination of grant amount,
- receives incoming calls/emails, provides technical expertise, and suggests corrective action to attorneys applying for or receiving loan assistance, and
- examines quarterly certifications and ensures accuracy of quarterly payments.
- Creates statistical, financial, and other informational reports for management, board members, grantors, and other stakeholders, while maintaining required confidentiality.
- Assists with fund distributions to grantees.
- Assists with monthly bank reconciliations.
- Performs other responsibilities as required.
- Two years’ experience in a professional environment that requires basic knowledge of accounting principles.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university is required; major coursework in accounting, finance, business administration, or a related field is preferred.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office products required, particularly Excel; experience with MS Dynamics GreatPlains accounting software preferred.
- Knowledge of accounting processes required; experience in nonprofit accounting and grant accounting/compliance preferred.
- Project management skills; problem solving skills; time management skills
- Excellent communication skills, both orally and written.
All employees at the Foundation receive excellent benefits through the State of Texas – please see the Employee Retirement System of Texas (http://www.ers.state.tx.us/Employees/New-Employee/Overview/ ) to check out our options! To apply, visit the State Bar of Texas employment site: https://careers-texasbar.icims.com/jobs/intro and apply to the Texas Access to Justice Foundation open Accountant position in Austin, TX.